Thursday, February 6, 2014

Super Bowl XLVIII Cupcakes




For the Super Bowl this year we went to a party at my brother and sister-in-law (elect)'s house and had a really fantastic time. I didn't really care about who won the game, but I did have some Block Pool and prop bets going, so that kept it interesting. 

Rosie did a really nice job hosting and there was quite the extensive spread: tons of dips to look like a football stadium, wings, nice cheeses, sandwiches, and enough booze to take down an army. Really great event. 


I couldn't even get a picture before everyone dug in!

When I asked her what I could bring, she suggested cupcakes which I couldn't have been happier about! But of course I couldn't just make any old cupcakes, they had to be themed some how. So enter way more blue, green and orange food coloring than I'd ever seen in my life.

I found a blue velvet cupcake recipe that would be perfect for both teams and had some bros help me find the perfect color for both the Broncos and Seahawks. The first batch was a total bust, unfortunately. The batter was a lot thicker then I am used to so I accidentally over-filled the cupcake tin and the end result was top-heavy yet collapsed cupcakes. They were still delicious so I persisted with the second batch. Success!



Blue Velvet Cupcake Recipe:
2 cups sugar
½ pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons Wilton Navy Blue food coloring (add more if you so desire)
cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt 
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In your mixer, cream the sugar and butter, mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together to form a paste, and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour and salt to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.

Warning: Batter will be very thick. Only fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting. 


Cream Cheese Butter Cream
1 package cream cheese, softened and halved
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (1/2 for each batch)
5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (2 1/2 for each batch - or more to your taste)
1 teaspoon of Crystal Colors powdered food coloring for each color choice (I used Tahitian Sun for the Broncos and Moss Green for the Seahawks)

In mixer, beat half the cream cheese, half the butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar (2 1/2 cups) a half cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the food coloring until you get to your desired color and mix until completely incorporated. Increase the speed on your mixer and mix until very light and fluffy. 

Repeat for the other color choice. Pipe the butter cream onto cooled cupcakes and add any embellishments. I used royal blue Sanding Sugar and football decorations to go with the theme. 





I'm working on a full wedding post, but I went to upload the pictures and my thumb drive wasn't working - Yikes! Luckily we had already loaded all of the pictures on my mom's computer. Crisis averted. So here is a little teaser (and one of the only ones I do have on my computer).

End of the best night ever

I hope everyone enjoyed the Super Bowl!

xo
Alison

2 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful experience knowing Dr James.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I'm on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. I knew I was in trouble as I've already lost appetite for everything about life I've heard of people who suffered this disease for years with no hope of solution. Imagine the pain and trauma keeping it a secret. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment who after telling him of my ailment he advised me to start with herbal medicines if I wish to live longer than doctors estimate He taught me the strong effects of plants on animals and how possible nature have perfected itself. He gave me Dr James herbal mix contact. I contacted him immediately, I told him the whole history which he gave me satisfactory answer. I purchased and started using his herbs as he had directed. This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I continued on dosage as prescribed one week later I noticed total comfort in my body system, I informed the doctor who advised me to continue medication till later end I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! I thank you greatly Dr  James for giving me back my life I'm the happiest man on earth. Reach Dr James  directly via email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com.Or Whatsapp Him on his mobile  +2348152855846  TO CURE YOUR DISEASES WITH HERBAL MEDICINES  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete